First Posted: 6/15/2012 3:33:22 PM | Last Updated: 6/15/2012 3:35:46 PM
This is an outrageous decision by LDC to try and creep under the radar and sell off one of the public amenity behind the residents back. If someone wants to build a hotel in Newhaven, they should be directed to the Harbour Development area, which I would have thought to be better for them and the Town.
No wonder the town is in a poor state when Councillors make decisions like this. The young in Newhaven do not have many places to meet and play now, so don't be surprised when you get more vandalism in the town if you go ahead with this sneeky proposal.
The main grounds of objection raised by the Town Council are:
· That this recreation ground is essential and is well used and loved by local residents
· That it does not believe that the District Council will be able to “source alternative open spaces that can provide enhanced recreational activities in better locations for local people” as they have claimed
· That the sale of any recreation ground for development conflicts with the District Council’s own planning policies
· That the long desired Riverside Park providing enhanced recreational facilities for the town on this site would be far more beneficial to the local community than a hotel
· That the way in which the decision has been made in secret by the Leader of the District Council and not by a committee or by the full Council is inappropriate for a decision of this importance
They must have known about it months ago and to leave it to the last minute before telling people is disgusting.