First Posted: 12/7/2011 2:20:58 PM | Last Updated: 12/7/2011 2:20:58 PM
A record 23,737 fans attended FOX Sports Ohio Redsfest presented by PNC on Dec. 2 and 3 at the Duke Energy Convention Center.
The previous record for the event was 21,781 in 2010.
Proceeds from FOX Sports Ohio Redsfest will benefit the Reds Community Fund and its baseball-themed outreach programs.
“Thank you to our fans for turning out in record numbers for Redsfest,” said Reds President and CEO Bob Castellini. “Your loyalty and support makes Redsfest the best fan festival in all of Major League Baseball.”
Highlights from the weekend included:
- Over 70 current and former players, coaches and broadcasters participated in autograph sessions, photograph booths, Main Stage events, kids-only press conferences and much more.
- Joey Votto received his second Ernie Lombardi Award as Reds MVP, Johnny Cueto won the Johnny Vander Meer Outstanding Pitcher Award presented by Coldwell Banker West Shell and Bronson Arroyo took home the Joe Nuxhall Good Guy Award presented by Furniture Fair.
- The newest mascot “Mr. Red” was re-introduced to fans.
- UC basketball fan favorite John Meeker won the Celebrity Wiffle® Ball Home Run Contest on Friday.
- David Moore from Hamilton outlasted over 550 poker players to win first place in the Reds Community Fund Texas Hold ‘Em tournament on Saturday. Reds Hall of Famer Tom Browning was the top finishing celebrity in ninth place.
In the Cincinnati’s Got Talent finals on Saturday, judges Bronson Arroyo, Mike Leake, Todd Frazier and Broadway producer Rick Steiner awarded two $1,000 first place prizes to:
- Singer Taylor Baye Brown and harpist Katie Giuliano from Xavier University.
- Singer Claire Northcut, a third grader from Mason.
Over 70 local acts tried out for the inaugural Cincinnati’s Got Talent on Nov. 19 and 20 at the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center. Ten semifinalists were chosen to compete at Redsfest on Friday and the field was narrowed to six for Saturday’s finals.
All six Cincinnati’s Got Talent finalists will be invited to perform at Great American Ball Park during the 2012 season.